Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea for a module: Scheduler
In my quest to get the installation I maintain under GIT control I've found something on the fullcalendar website. One of the reasons I can't just upgrade the install is I made some hacks into the calendar module. I've always wished the calendar was more resource-based (which is part of what the hacks are for) and it seems the author of fullcalendar has made just that: Scheduler. The best thing is: it's free under the GPL license, as long as it's used in an open-source project, which is what we are. So I'd like to start developing a second module for events based on this. Theoretically, it can co-exist with the calendar, where calendar would be used for an individual calendar, and schedular (which is my neat name for it) for a resource planner (meaning: a user that manages resources of a company like rooms or in my case: people).

There are two reasons I'm posting this thread:
  • I know the calendar uses fullcalendar.js right now, but is it loaded on every page? Meaning, besides calendar pages? This may cause conflicts so we need a plan for this.
  • I'd like some advice on the best approach:
    • Start from a normal 'skeleton module' or:
    • Fork the calendar4you module.
  • Just to seem cool (OK three reasons).

So please, let me know any thoughts.
(07-06-2016, 09:12 PM)Guido1982 Wrote: In my quest to ... schedular (which is my neat name for it) for a resource planner (meaning: a user that manages resources of a company like rooms or in my case: people).

Great idea, great functionality and great name  Big Grin
I think it is a fantastic idea and very needed enhancement

(07-06-2016, 09:12 PM)Guido1982 Wrote: I know the calendar uses fullcalendar.js right now, but is it loaded on every page? Meaning, besides calendar pages? This may cause conflicts so we need a plan for this.

I added this to my todo list. Currently when you add a HEADERSCRIPT link (which is the case of C4You) it is loaded on all pages which is nice if you need to do some global application enhancement. There is no way of telling the system to load them only on certain modules or views unless you load them in your module's templates.
I will decide which is the best way to go and get back to you.

(07-06-2016, 09:12 PM)Guido1982 Wrote: [*]I'd like some advice on the best approach:
  • Start from a normal 'skeleton module' or:
  • Fork the calendar4you module.

If your extension will need normal module functionality, to save the resources or their schedule information (for example) then I would start with a normal module skeleton and add the "schedule view" functionality.

If you really don't need to save any information (which would be rare) then I would start from an empty extension directory.
Joe
TSolucio
Great, thanks.

I will:
  • Start a 'normal' module since yes, I would like to save. One of the key resources I have in mind are coreBOS users. Also, events saved in the 'user resource' should then be saved as a normal event for this user. But other things may come into play as well, like sales orders the scheduled task is related to, maybe an asset can be a resource and so on, and so on. So yes, the functionality will be as broad as possible and an extension module would not be enough.
  • I can (in the meantime) create a script that replaces the 'fullcalendar.js' link in the head on the schedular pages or something like that.
  • Start planning development. If any features come to mind, please let me know.