CoreBOSBB
CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - Printable Version

+- CoreBOSBB (https://discussions.corebos.org)
+-- Forum: Open (https://discussions.corebos.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: Open Discussions (https://discussions.corebos.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? (/showthread.php?tid=144)

CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - polanskiman - 05-08-2015

When will CoreBos 5.6 be released?

RE: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - joebordes - 05-08-2015

Most probably never. It makes no sense to have version numbers anymore, they just complicate things.

I will write a blog post explaining my arguments about the issue with details but really short the thing is that with git control and coreBOS updater it is REALLY easy to follow our development and we change the application almost every day (!). All you need to get the latest version is:
- git pull
- apply all corebos updater changes

your done, on the latest release, and you can do that again tomorrow or in a week to get the new changes....

I would have to be doing version numbers every other day, it is a waste of time.

So if you want 5.6 or whatever marketing scheme number you want to call it, just download the latest code from github.

I will post the link to the blog post as soon as it is up

RE: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - polanskiman - 05-08-2015

As much as I understand from a technical point of view it does not help the application to be seen as evolving for those who don't really know much about Corebos. Anyways will do as advised.

RE: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - joebordes - 05-08-2015

Just to comment that I totally agree with you: version numbers now (not just with coreBOS) are pure marketing hype. You don't know (nor care) what version your browser is in or what version of facebook you log into, they just keep updating all by themselves, but when a new version (or feature) comes out the marketing department makes a whole lot of hype about it, this takes us to the issue: coreBOS has no marketing department, so until that arrives, version release will be scarce but the application development, features and general evolution are full steam ahead.

Heck, with all that is going on I don't even have time to write about the new features we are adding :-)

RE: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - polanskiman - 05-11-2015

Good to know the work behind the scene is ongoing. That's the most important part.

RE: CoreBos 5.6 released soon? - opto - 06-01-2015

just saw this post.
Actually - Version numbers even help when on git.
If there is a diverse user Group, not all will be on head. (that might not even be desirable, depending on the stability).

If we have Version numbers, it is easy to identify what Version a user  is on. To identify git commit id's might be more difficult for a Standard user.

Having the Version number, we can say for a bug Report: Oh- you are on 3.2.33, that is resolved on current 3.3.91, or we could see that he is up to date - uPS, we somehow reintroduced the bug, sorry for that.

So it helps to occasionally update the Version numbers, not only for Marketing purposes.

Klaus