CoreBOSBB
Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - Printable Version

+- CoreBOSBB (https://discussions.corebos.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://discussions.corebos.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Administrator Support (https://discussions.corebos.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control (/showthread.php?tid=2411)

Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-20-2022

Ok all you geniuses

I am trying to fresh install on a godaddy server.  

I have done my best to meet all the requirements on the install page and have confirmed most PHP and Mysql settings with Godaddy tech.

I used Git Version control in Cpanel to make a repository from the corebos git which it made at
/home/**********/repositories/corebos

This is not in my public HTML part of the site but in the main directory.

I have not yet checked the permissions on this folder or run the install.

I am making sure that I am doing this correctly one step at a time so I don't screw it up

Do I work directly with this directory?  OR is this something I copy to some place else?  From what I understand the Git Version Control can update from Git whenever I want but I don't want to goof up the setup if I am supposed to work with a copy of it. (if that makes sense)

What should my next step be?

Thanks again for your wisdom and help

Below are my server settings for just to double check

cPanel Version 94.0 (build 19)
Apache Version 2.4.54
PHP Version 7.4.27
MySQL Version 5.6.51-cll-lve
Architecture x86_64
Operating System linux
Shared IP Address 173.201.176.176
Path to Sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
Path to Perl /usr/bin/perl
Perl Version 5.10.1

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - joebordes - 08-20-2022

that looks ok. I would suggest PHP 7.4 if possible, better than 7.3

you can work directly from the cloned repo if it is accessible through the web server.

if you are planning on having more than one install then you can copy the one you have to another name and install it again and again as many times as you need and update each install individually

HTH

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-20-2022

(08-20-2022, 06:17 PM)joebordes Wrote: that looks ok. I would suggest PHP 7.4 if possible, better than 7.3

you can work directly from the cloned repo if it is accessible through the web server.

if you are planning on having more than one install then you can copy the one you have to another name and install it again and again as many times as you need and update each install individually

HTH
Thanks Joe

I will upgrade to 7.4 I hope it does not kill my websites or other installs.

When you say accessable through the web server do I need to put the clone in the public html part of my site.
I thought your install page talked about them being separate.

I think I can just put the repository directly in the public html part of the site. and have as many of them synced as I like using the Git Versioin Control.

In the future upgrading the Git should not hurt the install right?

Thanks again for your wisdom

peter

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - joebordes - 08-20-2022

(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: I will upgrade to 7.4 I hope it does not kill my websites or other installs.

if it does, leave it on 7.3, coreBOS should work ok with that too

(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: When you say accessable through the web server do I need to put the clone in the public html part of my site.

I think I can just put the repository directly in the public html part of the site. and have as many of them synced as I like using the Git Versioin Control.

Correct, it has to be inside public_html, with the other websites and you can have as many directories/installs as you need (or your server can handle)

(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: In the future upgrading the Git should not hurt the install right?

correct. once you start with git, you have to "pull" and go to coreBOS updater, load and apply all, forever

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-20-2022

(08-20-2022, 08:15 PM)joebordes Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: I will upgrade to 7.4 I hope it does not kill my websites or other installs.

if it does, leave it on 7.3, coreBOS should work ok with that too

(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: When you say accessable through the web server do I need to put the clone in the public html part of my site.

Correct, it has to be inside public_html, with the other websites and you can have as many directories/installs as you need (or your server can handle)

(08-20-2022, 06:36 PM)TranscendentStudios Wrote: In the future upgrading the Git should not hurt the install right?

correct. once you start with git, you have to "pull" and go to coreBOS updater, load and apply all, forever

Thanks again for your time and your reply Joe this answer so many questions and has saved me a lot of trouble

I'll do my best to figure the rest out hopefully my permissions works out well putting things in the right folder and whatnot using their automatic git

But again this save me from so much trouble thanks for your time

I'll let you know how it works out :-)

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-21-2022

joe thanks again

Looks like I was able to upgrade to 7.4 without any problems

I was also looking for your opinion on where to install the main folder for this install of corebos in my Public HTML folder

My folder is setup where my main domain. transcendent.studio is the main PUBLIC HTML folder and then inside of it I have separate sites like

tech.transcendent.studio
****.Transcendent.studio
etc

Should I put the Corebos install in the folder of the site I hope to use it in conjuction with?
Should I make a separate folder in the Public HTML just for corebos installs (If I want others in the future)

And I cant remember how this effects the customer portal as I also want that associated with a certian site as well

Any wisdom on this would be helpful before I make something Permanent
Thanks for your wisdom

peter

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - joebordes - 08-21-2022

both approaches are valid. You can configure your DNS records to use

corebos1.transcendent.studio > configure web server to send the requests to a corebos1 directory somewhere
corebos2.transcendent.studio > configure web server to send the requests to a corebos2 directory somewhere

or

create corebos1 and corebos2 subdirectories inside public_html and use

transcendent.studio/corebos1
transcendent.studio/corebos2

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-21-2022

Joe

Thanks for this that helps a lot

Also I am working with the permissions

On your install it asks for these files to be set to read write for user and group (I believe your video did as well)

Read and Write permissions should be enabled for user/group who owns webserver process (like www-data or httpd or apache).
  • config.inc.php
  • tabdata.php
  • install.php
  • cache
  • storage/
  • install/
  • user_privileges/
  • Smarty/cache/
  • Smarty/templates_c/
  • modules/Emails/templates/
  • modules/
  • cron/modules/
  • test/vtlib/
  • backup/
  • Smarty/templates/modules/
  • test/
  • logs/
  • modules/Webmails/tmp/
My question is do all the files in each of these folders need the same permissions 6 6 4 (I think)
When I change the permissions on a folder in the Cpanel file manager it only changes for the folder not the included folders and files.

Do I need to find something to (or some interface, app) to send that Permission to each file in those folders?

Thanks for your help

Peter

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - TranscendentStudios - 08-31-2022

I am still hung up on this permissions thing

what interface do you all use to change permissions on multiple files and folders at once?

Thanks again for your help and wisdom

Peter

RE: Fresh install on Cpanel using Git Version control - joebordes - 08-31-2022

sorry, can't help much, never use cpanel, I do this from the command line. There must be a way to do that from cpanel though

In linux terminal I usually execute

cd corebos_directory
find . -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod g+w {} \;
chown -R www-data ../corebos_directory