Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My 2 cents from being a user in stead of a developer
What you describe is the approach I use now yes. It's also the behaviour I teach new users. But I find it is not the best UX experience.

Most often, when you do this, you want to have some information about a related of detail record to be able to make some decision in the main record you are editing. The two-tab option is not ideal, since you basically just want to have the info you need to make a decision all in one screen. What I wanted to do is provide a simple read-only template that shows you the information without all the bells and whistles. At first I wanted to build my own 'window', but I then realized that this wouldn't support multiple screens, which I and many people I know that use coreBOS use.

So now I think I'll create some basic view-only template that you can open in a separate, smaller browser window. An example is this: when we perform visits to customers, we create a salesorder that represents that visit. A lot of times, that visit involves multiple helpdesk tickets that are in turn related to multiple assets. So when you're creating the salesorder you'd need to prepare it with for instance the correct inventory lines or some other data. Switching back and forth between 2 or 3 tickets, maybe an asset of two and the salesorder in creation becomes confusing and tedious quite fast when done in tabs.

So what if you could have some small windows on your second screen that would offer you the information you need regarding the assets and helpdesk tickets? I think that would benefit your workflow.

This is only one example but I think it could be applicable to many business cases and workflows. It's all about the presentation of data and customizing that presentation in a way that the user can work efficiëntly and with the least room for error.

Messages In This Thread
RE: My 2 cents from being a user in stead of a developer - Guido1982 - 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM