Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linking Multiple Products with an asset.
Ok all

Our company needs to be able to link multiple products (and product groups) with an asset.

1. I have inserted a custom field linked to products in my asset input screen, but I am only allowed to add one product to the asset. (see image below)

2. I have tried the reverse of this in the product screen and receive the same issue. (I can only create a new asset when clicking on the button, not pulling one from a list that already exist)

3. I also tried to add the desired links n the more information tabs but came up with the same issues as I experienced in #2 (see attached)

Does anyone have insight into what I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you all for your help

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi GRL,

As I understand it, you need to be able to link more than one product to the assets module. In that case, I understand that by adding a related list of products you would already have what you need. As you can see in the following link of corebos demo you can link this list without problems.

http://demo.corebos.com/index.php?action=DetailView&module=Assets&record=4062&parenttab=ptab

As far as I can see from your image, there are some bugs when relating the product module to assets. Is that correct?
(04-25-2018, 06:12 AM)kapsule Wrote: Hi GRL,

As I understand it, you need to be able to link more than one product to the assets module. In that case, I understand that by adding a related list of products you would already have what you need. As you can see in the following link of corebos demo you can link this list without problems.

http://demo.corebos.com/index.php?action=DetailView&module=Assets&record=4062&parenttab=ptab

As far as I can see from your image, there are some bugs when relating the product module to assets. Is that correct?

Thank you for your reply and time.

First off what is the log in to the test site?

Secondly, there may or may not be a problem with our install because...

1. I can link 1 product to 1 asset.  

2. I can create new linked assets in the products more info tab. (but those assets although linked to the products do not show a link back to the products in the asset more info tab.)

3. I can not link already created assets with a product, I can only create new ones. 

I don't know if this is standard response for the system or if my system is not working well. 

My goal is to be able to link already created assets with products and vice versa.  

Then be able to run a report for our en users that shows what products are associated with a particular asset so that they can replace parts if needed for that asset. 

Thanks again for your help and insight 
Hi GRL,

To access the demo platform you must use the username and password "admin". As for the error you're pointing out, I think it's a problem with your installation. As you can see in the demo, this functionality works without any problems.

I understand that this relationship has been made from the module manager. Is that correct? Or did you make the change via code?

By the way, remember that you can also contact me at the group we have in Telegram or Gitter.

https://t.me/coreboscrm
(04-25-2018, 02:31 PM)kapsule Wrote: Hi GRL,

To access the demo platform you must use the username and password "admin". As for the error you're pointing out, I think it's a problem with your installation. As you can see in the demo, this functionality works without any problems.

I understand that this relationship has been made from the module manager. Is that correct? Or did you make the change via code?

By the way, remember that you can also contact me at the group we have in Telegram or Gitter.

https://t.me/coreboscrm
Kapsule

Thanks for the password, and the great questions

Yes, I did add the relationship in the module manager by creating a custom field and selecting 'Relation' and then selecting the module.   (I did this for products-> creating a field for assets) 

When I attempted this on the demo platform I am experiencing the same results.  (i left it there if you are able to check how I did it) 

Still can only create a new asset to go with the product.  I tested my setup on [ PRO17 ] U8 Smart Watch  If you want to see how I set it up.

Thanks again for your help

Peter
let's see if this helps:

There are two types of related lists:

1:m on to many, this type means that there is a relation field on one of the two modules and the other has a list. this is the relation that exists between products and assets by default. There is one relation field on Assets that permits you to select one product, and on the product there is a related list with all the assets that have that product in their relation field. In this case, since you can only have one you can only add

m:m many to many, the relation is saved internally and you can many records related from both modules. This is the relation between accounts and products where one account can buy many products and one product can be sold to many accounts. In this case you can both select and add.

So, if you want to be able to select many assets, you will first have to elimina the related list that exists and then add the new one:

Layout Editor of Products, open the "Arrange Related Lists" window, delete the Assets line (which represents the current 1:m relation) and then add the Assets module again, effectively converting it into a m:m relation.

Let us know how it goes
Joe
TSolucio
(04-25-2018, 10:58 PM)joebordes Wrote: let's see if this helps:

1:m on to many, this type means that there is a relation field on one of the two modules and the other has a list. this is the relation that exists between products and assets by default. There is one relation field on Assets that permits you to select one product, and on the product there is a related list with all the assets that have that product in their relation field. In this case, since you can only have one you can only add

m:m many to many, the relation is saved internally and you can many records related from both modules. This is the relation between accounts and products where one account can buy many products and one product can be sold to many accounts. In this case you can both select and add.

So, if you want to be able to select many assets, you will first have to elimina the related list that exists and then add the new one:

Layout Editor of Products, open the "Arrange Related Lists" window, delete the Assets line (which represents the current 1:m relation) and then add the Assets module again, effectively converting it into a m:m relation.

Let us know how it goes

WOW

Now it  totally makes sense (I hope LOL)

OK, I deleted both the product and asset associations in assets and products and recreated them.

Now it looks like I have what I finally want. 

Namely, if I add a product or multiple products to assets they show up in the assets screen and the same happens when I add multiple assets to products.

The results are reflected in the respective product or asset. 

Do you see anything else that might need to be done or checked to avoid issues in the future?

Thank you again for your help.

Peter

(04-26-2018, 11:55 AM)GRL Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 10:58 PM)joebordes Wrote: let's see if this helps:

Let us know how it goes

WOW

Now it  totally makes sense (I hope LOL)

OK, I deleted both the product and asset associations in assets and products and recreated them.

Now it looks like I have what I finally want. 

Namely, if I add a product or multiple products to assets they show up in the assets screen and the same happens when I add multiple assets to products.

The results are reflected in the respective product or asset. 

Do you see anything else that might need to be done or checked to avoid issues in the future?

Thank you again for your help.

Peter

I am noticing something interesting when I am trying to run a report on products by asset.

My goal is to have a report that is sorted first by asset and then gives a list of associated products and their quantity in stock and reorder level. 

However, when I make this report it is no longer giving accurate results compared to the data in assets and products. 

Do I need to recalculate something to make the data in the report accurate?  I even deleted and remade the report. 

Thoughts?
The product field on assets was getting in the way. I deleted it and it seems to be working. Give it a try and let us know.

You may have to edit and save the report again
Joe
TSolucio
(04-30-2018, 11:44 PM)joebordes Wrote: The product field on assets was getting in the way. I deleted it and it seems to be working. Give it a try and let us know.

You may have to edit and save the report again

Thanks, it seems to be working great.